Inaugural Metastatic Breast Cancer Symposium
Saturday, September 16, 2017
A free event. Online registration is now closed, call 215-238-8900.
Return to main event page.
Open to men and women living with Metastatic Breast Cancer
as well as their family and other members of their support network.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Subject to change/substitutions
9:30–10:00 a.m. Check-in
10:00–11:30 a.m. Breakfast Session
- Mistress of Ceremonies: Natasha Brown, CBS 3
- Executive Welcome: Elaine I. Grobman, CEO, Susan G. Komen Philadelphia
- Keynote Address: Ambassador Nancy Brinker, Founder, Susan G. Komen
- Opening Presentation: Implications of Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer Therapy.
Susan Domchek, MD, University of Pennsylvania. Executive Director, Basser Center for BRCA; Basser Professor in Oncology; Director, MacDonald Cancer Risk Evaluation Center
- Feature Presentation: Basic and Translational Research in Metastatic Breast Cancer. Daniel P. Silver, MD, PhD, Jefferson University; Associate Professor, Medical Oncology and Cancer Biology; Director, Basic Science and Research, Medical Oncology; Leader, Breast Program, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center
11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. First Breakout Session
Choose one of three. See below for details.
12:30 p.m. –1:30 p.m. Second Breakout Session
Choose one of three. See below for details.
1:30–3:00 p.m. Luncheon
Panel Discussion: Advancing the Mission through Advocacy and Patient Financial Assistance
- Moderator and panelist: Meryl Weinreb, Chair of Education and Public Policy, Susan G. Komen; Komen Advocate in Science; past Komen Philadelphia Board Member; breast cancer survivor
- Panelist: Debby Madiraca, Forever Fighter, Komen Philadelphia MBC Advisory Committee
- Panelist: Christopher Koniers, Forever Fighter, Komen Philadelphia MBC Advisory Committee
“Be Heard. Build Community. Find Support.” Session
Komen Philadelphia supports you as a Forever Fighter and reserves the luncheon segment of this symposium to provide an opportunity for you and members of your support network to connect with peers as well as with Komen Philadelphia. In addition to lunch and a panel presentation, small discussions will occur, creating an environment in which you can discover shared and unique strengths, form new friendships and build on your collective voice to advocate for change in our community and beyond.
All three breakout sessions will be held concurrently from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., then again from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., allowing you to attend two sessions of your choice.
Topic: The Current State of MBC Research
- Daniel P. Silver, MD, PhD, Jefferson University; Associate Professor, Medical Oncology and Cancer Biology; Director, Basic Science and Research, Medical Oncology; Leader, Breast Program, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center (Moderator)
- Eric B. Kmiec, PhD, Director, Gene Editing Institute, Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute at Christiana Care Health System
- Yibin Kang, PhD, Princeton University. Warner-Lambert/Parke-Davis Professor of Molecular Biology
- Julia C. Tchou, MD, PhD. Section Chief of Breast Surgery, Division of Endocrine and Oncologic Surgery, Department of Surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania; Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery at Penn; Co-Director of the Rena Rowan Breast Center, Abramson Cancer Center
Topic: Building and Improving Physician, Patient and Caregiver Communications
- Curtis T. Miyamoto, MD. Professor and Chairperson, Department of Radiation Oncology
Temple University, School of Medicine; Associate Director for Clinical Services, Fox Chase Cancer Center at Temple University Hospital (Moderator)
- Generosa Grana, MD, FACP. Director, MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper; Professor of Medicine, Cooper Medical School of Rowan University.
- Maysa Abu-Khalaf, MD. Thomas Jefferson University, Associate Professor, Medical Oncology; Director, Breast Medical Oncology Program; Co-Director, Breast Care Center, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center
- Elias Obeid, MD, MPH. Assistant Professor, Departments of Clinical Genetics
Fox Chase Cancer Center
Topic: Sexuality, Nutrition, Pain and Palliative Care
- Nicole Simone, MD, Thomas Jefferson University. Margaret Q. Landenberger Associate Professor; Radiation Director, Breast Care Center, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center (Moderator)
- Susan Kellogg-Spadt, PhD, CRNP, IF, FCST, Director of Female Sexual Medicine, Center for Pelvic Medicine; Professor of OB/GYN, Drexel University College of Medicine; Professor of Human Sexuality, Widener University; Assistant Professor, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School; Clinical Associate Faculty, University of Pennsylvania; Clinical Associate Faculty, Thomas Jefferson University
- Maurice D. Gross, MD, Abington Hospital Jefferson Health. Medical Director, Palliative Care;
Associate Medical Director, Hospice Care
- Arthur Siegel, MD, Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia, Director of Palliative Care
Thank you to our Sponsors
Additional Sponsor & Special Contributor
- Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health
- Christiana Care Health System, Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute
- Penn Medicine’s Abramson Cancer Center
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel